Monday, August 1, 2011

The end of an era: ode to Zinnia

Today was the last day at my second job (the one that I got specifically to keep Sallie Mae from taking the shirt off my back). In the way of all endings I have mixed feelings about moving on from the job. Its a great feeling to realize that you no longer have to work 50-60 hours a week just to keep your head above water but starting a whole new chapter in life is really difficult.

I started looking for a second job roughly a year and a half ago because I just couldn't see myself paying my bills without it (Sallie Mae is a harsh taskmaster) . I also happened, incidentally, to be really depressed because in the transition from college student to real live adult, I felt like I had been left behind by all my friends. In my mind, everyone was doing something better, cooler and more awesome than me and I was just struggling. Once I got this job something totally unexpected happened. I made friends with my coworkers. Perhaps it is because I was working in a jewelry store but I became friends with some really creative, interesting (sometimes off-the-wall, in the best sense possible) people completely by accident. 

Over the year I've had so much fun, seen so many crazy people , and gotten so much great jewelry that it makes me sad to go. Oh well, they can't get rid of me that easily... I'll still be shopping there I'm sure. 

Btw a quick shout out to two Zinnia girls on the interwebs. You should check them out.



1 comment: